Monday, August 23, 2010

start over?

Bill said to me yesterday afternoon that maybe we could start the summer over. As everyone always says it went entirely too fast and there was entirely too much going on. What was suppose to be a relaxing last week of summer turned into quite the opposite. Last week we were suppose to be spending time at home, getting ready for school start, enjoying our last days at home before school and other activities had us on the go.
Instead we spent the week with Bill's family. Last Sunday night Bill's grandpa had a stroke and so we spent two days in the hospital with his family. A week from tomorrow Bill's family gathered in his grandpa's hospital room and watched him take his final breathes. Such a sweet, sweet man who we will all dearly miss. Bill's grandparents were married for sixty-three years. I find myself hoping that I get to be married to Bill for six-three years and that after six-thirty years I will not only love Bill like I do today but even more. Bill's grandma was loving her husband to the very last second, something I think I will never forget. What an example of true love we all were able to witness that day. As hard as it was to watch grandpa take his last breathes I will forever remember and be grateful for the love I saw in that room on that day. A love that challenges and reminds me to love my husband with all that I have.
To top a long week off Jennifer literally burned her eyes last night. We were making popcorn last night, as we do on most Sunday nights. Bill, Jennifer and I were in the kitchen together. We are not really sure what happened but Jennifer was standing on a little chair and unplugged the popcorn popper. I reminded her that she cannot do that and noticed that she was having trouble with her eyes. She was blinking them a lot and then wouldn't open them at all. Bill and I tried to flush them out with some water and tried to get her to open them. She never really cried and didn't seem that annoyed with it at the time. She was exhausted from a long week so we just snuggled with her and she seemed to doze off. I am oh so thankful that our eye doctor is also a friend so we called him and told him that we thought she got steam in her eyes. He thought as long as she was sleeping and didn't seem bothered she would be ok. After about an hour that quickly changed. The poor girl was just comfortable. We once again called our friend who meet Bill and Jennifer at his office to look at her eyes. She did indeed burn her little eyes. He put some stuff in her eyes and then put patches over them. Now it had been a long week and we were all already exhausted so when Jennifer came home with patches on her eyes it was enough to make me just want to bawl. We were in for a long night. The poor girl just couldn't get comfortable to sleep. This morning we took the patches off but she still wouldn't open her eyes. She went back to see the doctor and he said her eyes were not healed up just yet. So Jen spent much of the day sleeping. If you know Jen well you know that is so not like her. Tonight we finally got to see her sweet eyes for a little bit on a couple of occasions, not for long but at least we got to see them. We praying for a better nights rest and tomorrow hopefully she will be back to normal.
So this morning Bill looked at me again and said that maybe we could at least start the past two weeks over, if we couldn't do the whole summer over. Our lives have been full the past weeks and months but then again I suppose so many other lives are full as well. So we get up and press on. I read this verse while we were in Michigan sixteen months ago and it seems I have needed it many times since then ( I know I have posted it here before). Once again I find myself reading it and clinging to the words.
But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weakness, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 2:19

1 comment:

Hedlund Family said...

Poor girl... you guys have had a hard couple of weeks! Sorry about Bill's grandpa, but very happy that you were all able to be with him. Give Jen and Mikayla kisses... Let us know how Jen is doing! Hope her little eyes feel better very soon!