Tuesday, November 10, 2009

changing smile

We had our first major accident this morning. Now Jennifer is four and a half and I must admit we thought this day would have come by now. This morning Jennifer was walking/running to the coffee table when she slipped and fell. She hit her face on the coffee table. I was watching the whole thing and quickly ran over to her, knowing that she was going to cry from the hit. I scooped her up in my arms and noticed blood in her mouth. At first I just thought she had bit her lip or cheek. Upon looking again I noticed it. One of her front top teeth was missing! I think I freaked out more than Jennifer did! I ran, with Jennifer in my arms, to the bathroom, where Bill was. I'm trying to be calm and tell Bill that Jennifer just lost her tooth. He looked at me and in a very calm voice told me to calm down because I was making it worse. (I hate it when he is right, I probably was overreacting.) Jennifer is a trooper!! It didn't take her long to calm down and she
has been fine the rest of the day. We found her tooth on the floor, by the table, and it appears that her whole tooth fell out. So now she will be toothless until her permanent tooth comes in, which could be a few years! It is going to take some getting use to, seeing her with a missing tooth. (The dentist told Bill today that he knew someone who had lost a tooth at two and didn't get his permanent tooth until eight years old! It could be a while!) We had to laugh though because of all the things that made Jen lose a tooth it was a simple accident. As much as she jumps on the bed, jumps off of other things, spins in circles, walks around with her eyes closed, doesn't watch where she is going, jumps around, jumps off the swing, or off steps, it really is amazing she hasn't lost a tooth yet. And today she just happens to slip on her pj's and run into the table. I felt so bad for her! I have to say again it is amazing that this sweet little girl has not had more accidents!!

Ok, this picture is not that pretty of Jennifer... but it does show where her tooth came out! It was a little bloody for a while! Each time Bill tried to open her mouth to see where Jen's tooth had fallen out, she would stick out her tongue!
A few minutes after the tooth had fallen out. Like I said she is a trooper!
Here is Jennifer's tooth. Bill made a great point, that is a big tooth for her little face!
A cheesy smile later in the day! This toothless smile, although cute, is going to take some getting use to I must admit.

4 comments:

Grandma Sue said...

When Amanda was 3 she fell while climbing the monkey bars. This knocked out both her front teeth. It was 3 to 4 years before her new teeth came in. I feel for you Jen and I hope your mouth is not too sore. It is a great place to put a straw to drink your pop!

Ellen Stumbo said...

Oh I feel so bad for Jen :( Ouch! I mean it must have really really hurt! And her tooth is huge! That was quite the deep root!
Well, at least she has her friend Joshy to hang out with in the toothless club. But I understand, it might take a while to get used to it. Eve though Nichole at two still is in the process of getting teeth!

Cindy said...

Yes quite an ouchy!

The Bergmans said...

That is crazy. Glad to hear she is alright! She looks so much older now :)