Thursday, March 6, 2008

Cherish

The word cherish has become my new favorite word over the past few weeks. I looked it up to see exactly what it means and I now I love it even more. It means, to hold dear: treat with care and affection, to keep deeply in mind. I have always cherished my daughter but I am learning to cherish her in new ways. Ways that I truly do hold dear. As the craziness of life happens around us I am often reminded to slow down and enjoy the little things and try not to get caught up in all that is happening. Lately it seems everyone is talking about all that their children are accomplishing and doing. It seems as parents we always want our children to be doing something, we want them to always be succeding at something. Jennifer has taught us from the begginning that things need to be a little slower paced, things will happen when they happen, there is no need to rush. So as I listen to others and sometimes begin to wonder what my child is doing, I stop and think of the little things. It dosen't really matter that she can't spell her name, or sing the ABC's (although in her mind she can and does), she counts in a way others don't understand, she dosen't know her colors or shapes but let's face she is not even three. And while some people think she has so much learn, I would have to say it dosen't really matter. She will learn all of these things in her own way and on her own timing and years from now let's be honest who will care how old she was when she accomplished these things. Life is more important than ABC's and 123's. It is about cherishing the small things, singing in the basement and using markers for microphones, getting all the underware out of mom's drawer and putting them on your head, getting exciting about having bubbles put in the bath, being able to get out of bed on your own and waking mom and dad up, going outside on a winter day and getting to swing, hanging out with dad in the garage, my list could go on and on. These are just a few of the little things that we have learned to cherish in our house. Things may be slower paced around here but it truly gives us more to cherish. Oh how fun to finger paint! The picture below pretty much explains itself!

Jennifer is getting dressed up to help dad work outside, it was kind of chilly.

Jennifer loves to help vacum, if you look close it was such hard work she had to do it without her pants on! Below Jennifer is hanging out with dad behind the coffee table!

No comments: